Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Atheists vs The Cross At Ground Zero

A group of atheists want the structure of two I-beams from the World Trade Center wreckage, resembling a cross, to be removed from public view. They assert it makes them, and I quote, "physically and mentally sick."

While I heartily agree they are mentally sick, I doubt it has anything to do with that "cross".

Frankly, atheists make ME sick. Perhaps THEY should be removed from public view.

They also state that it is a violation of the Constitution (it is not) because atheists are excluded.

I beg to differ - they are very much included! The cross is a symbol of what Christians believe in. And it is completely surrounded by the symbol of what atheists believe in - a whole lotta NOTHING.

I have said it many times before - the Constitution guarantees freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. And along those same lines people would do well to remember that there is no Constitutional right to abuse our rights. Nor is there any right to be free from being offended, since everything offends someone, somewhere. Atheists offend me. With every right comes the responsibility to use it wisely and responsibly, and to protect it fiercely.

/

No comments: