Both he and other Democrat leaders (Pelosi in particular) are now blaming speculators (after having blamed everything else, like Iran, Tsnamis, earthquakes, China etc.). I have lived through all presidents since Truman and never have I seen any president so quick to blame everyone else for his own inadequacies and failure to lead.
For those who are interested, there are several real reasons why gas prices are so high - and some can be laid at the door of Democrats. Others not so much. Yes, some can be attributed to speculators, but most, no.
1) Obama and his FED has devalued the dollar by printing huge amounts. When the dollar is devalued, it requires more dollars to get the same value. If Saudi merchants want $80 per barrel, but the dollar drops in value by 20%, then the Saudis would need to get $100/barrel in order to get the $80 it is worth. Devaluation of the dollar is a key reason for high prices
2) Federal gas taxes. The fed gets 12% tax on gas - the higher the price goes, the more taxes they collect. The tax at $2/gal is 24 cents, but on $4/gal it jumps to 48 cents.
3) Supplies are sold overseas where oil companies can make more profit. This helps keep prices high because they are selling supplies to the highest bidder.
4) We are not taking advantage of our own oil and gas reserves, and the Democrats have prevented the Keystone pipeline from being built. We are sitting on enough domestic oil and natural gas to power this country for a century.
5) Environmentalists have prevented refineries from being built, and now old ones are closing. And new EPA regulations have shut down 5 coal mines, which seriously affects the amount of energy available. Strange that Obama wants us to use electric cars, but shuts down the coal mines that fire the plants that produce 72% of all electricity in America.
Certainly there are other factors, but these are the major reasons, and combined they add more than $1.50 to every gallon of gas we buy.
No, Mr President, we are NOT dumb, nor are we dishonest. Wish we could say the same about you.