Sunday, June 19, 2011

Should I Say "I Told Ya So"?

A couple nights ago NASA reports a very large solar flare "grazed" Earth. It caused no noticeable harm, though it may have affected some GPS and communications slightly.

But here is the rest of the story - it was only by a stroke of luck that it did not hit dead-on. If it had, scientists say it could have wiped out the satellites, communications and electrical power for at least half the planet. And it could take 3-10 years to get it all back online.

I have posted about this possibility several times over the last few years. And now that the sun is entering it's "active" cycle, we need to be ready, just in case. NASA estimates this cycle will be particularly active, peaking in 2013.

The actual chance of a large flare hitting Earth directly is relatively small - but great enough to warrant being prepared!

Strange how this unusual activity will peak around the time of the supposed "2012 apocalypse" some say will occur on December 21, 2012. Not that I believe in that theory - I'm just sayin' it's quite a coincidence.

In any case, I am prepared - if there is no "extinction event", I am prepared to live through lesser disasters. If there is an EE, I'm prepared to meet my Maker. Prepared, no matter what. You?

/

No comments: