Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Is Michelle Obama's "Diet Agenda" Worthy Of Consideration? Maybe Not...

Michelle Obama's "signature agenda" is to make America healthier by forcing Americans onto what she deems is a healthier diet. While eating healthier sounds like a good idea, I have some serious questions about her agenda.

First, it is not in the perview of the government - or anyone - to determine what we can or cannot eat. We have free choice in America. If a person has the right to choose an abortion, then we certainly have the right to choose fries with our meal.

Second, there is no true concensus of exactly what is or is not healthy. In the 50's the government said eggs were a great part of our diet. In the 70's those same feds told us eggs were unhealthy and dangerous. And now in 2011 there are some who tell us they are bad while other experts tell us they are essential. If the experts don't know what is good or bad, I sincerely doubt Michelle's expertise in the matter.

Third, not everyone has the same nutritional needs. There are various body types, and different metabolisms. A one-size-fits-all diet is a very, very bad idea.

But now to the reason I even bring all this up. Some will think this to be insulting and crass but it is not intended to be so. It is a simple and honest observation. As I watched Michelle Obama take to the podium yesterday, I noticed she has a huge posterior and very heavy thighs. Michelle, herself, appears to be far from slender - obese even. So I had to ask myself, one of two things must be true - either her ideas on nutrition are not sound, or she is not following her own advice. If the former is true, then why should we be forced to follow a diet that obviously does not work? And if the latter is true, why should we follow a diet that she, herself does not follow?

For over 50 years I ate every "unhealthy" food available. Three or four eggs a day, real butter by the stick. All the fried foods I could find, and sugary treats at every turn. I would drink 25-30 cups of coffee a day, and at least an 8-pack of Pepsi. And for 50 years my weight never went over 145 pounds and my cholesterol level is low. I have never been in the hospital for anything more serious than a check-up. I also smoked 2 packs a day for 40 years.

So here is my note to Michelle - while I appreciate your concern, my life belongs to me, and I will make choices for myself. Some will be good, some will not. But they are my choices to make. If you have indisputable proof that your dietary suggestions are sound, feel free to provide that proof - and then get the Hell out of the way and let us make our own choices.

/

No comments: