Thursday, February 3, 2011

How Much Are You REALLY Paying For Hamburger? Check this out...

I make the food for our dogs. It's 40% meat, 40% starches and 20% vegetable. Normally I only use all natural, grass-fed beef or all natural free range chickens or turkey obtained from local farms - the same stuff my family eats.

While cooking, I drain off the grease. Normally the fats amount to about 15-20% of the product, and hardens to a cream-coloed grease, as it should.

But the other day I had to resort to buying burger from WalMart while waiting for our side of beef to be cut and packaged.

As usual, I drained off the "grease", and in doing so I noticed something troubling. Instead of 15-20% fat, what was drained off was 15-20% fat PLUS about 20% WATER! Here is a picture of what was drained - the top, cream-colored portion is the fat. The part at the very bottom is small particles of beef. The dark colored middle section turns out to be water.

A full 20% of the hamburger for which I paid nearly $2.00 a pound was water. So it can be looked at one of two ways - either customers are paying $2.00 a pound for water they cannot even drink, or they are getting the water for free and are therefore actually paying about $2.50/pound for the burger.

But no matter how one looks at it, one thing is certain - customers are being cheated, big time, and the FDA, as usual, does nothing about it.

As for me, I won't be buying any more food of any kind from WalMart - their sources obviously cannot be trusted to give an honest accounting.

/

No comments: