Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Lake

I remember a story my Dad told me over 50 years ago.

A man walked to the north side of the lake and filled a bucket with water. He would then walk around the lake to the south side of the lake and dump the bucket of water back into the lake. Throughout the day an observer watched as the man repeated the trip many, many times.

At evening, the observer finally asked the man what he was doing.

"We are in a drought, sir. I am simply raising the level of the water so we will have more."

As I read through the concepts behind the "stimulus" plan proposed by Obama and Congress during this economic drought, I could not help but be reminded of Dad's story, which had been originally written during the New Deal of the Great Depression era.

When you take money out of your right pocket, and place it into your left pocket, do not be fooled into thinking you have suddenly become richer.

/

No comments: