Friday, January 21, 2011

Learn The Ultimate Secret Of Success From A Woodworker?

Learn from a craftsman.

There are two very distinct methods of becoming a success in life. Both have the same result. But they take two very separate paths.

In trying to figure a way to describe the two methods I decided to look upon my own life, which I feel has been a great success, as I have everything I set out to achieve. So please bear with me for a moment, if you will.

One of my favorite hobbies is woodworking. I revel at being able to take a piece of raw wood and turn it into wonderful pieces, from small toys to large, wall-sized hutches. Because of my love for the hobby, I eventually outfitted my shop with every piece of modern equipment capable of turning out perfect pieces in a matter of hours.

But it wasn't long before I realized that, although the results were what I set out to achieve, getting there was not as enjoyable as it was when I only had basic hand tools - a hand plane instead of a power planer. A hand saw instead of a radial arm saw.

Sure, I could now turn out 20 pieces in the time it used to take to turn out one, but the fun was gone. More important, the personal satisfaction was absent. After all, with all the modern tooling, any idiot could turn out perfect pieces. But only a craftsman can turn out an heirloom built with loving care and hand craftsmanship.

So now, when I need something in a hurry I fire up the electronic tools and "git 'er done." But when I want to feel satisfaction, and create an heirloom, I shut down the power tools and break out the hand plane, the sanding blocks and the coping saw. And for that real heirloom quality, I give the piece a hand-rubbed oil finish.

Life is, or at least should be like that. When something needs to get done ASAP, go for it with every tool at your command. But when you seek something special, such as a marriage, or friendship; something that fills you with satisfaction at the end of the day - do what a craftsman does - put away the power and put your muscle into it. Lovingly, and with care. I think you will find you can achieve even greater success, and find it to be more fulfilling.

/

No comments: