Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Evolution?

Out of the mouths of babes!

Being a "modern" thinker, I had come to pretty much accept the theory of evolution, not because it makes a certain kind of sense, but because I have always been bombarded by it, by teachers, professors, friends, the media etc.

Then along comes my young, inquisitive daughter. She asks, "If evolution is real, and there was no Creation, where did the first living thing come from? Because if it were the first, it could not have evolved. So, where did that first living cell come from?"

Hm-m-m. She almost had me. I said, "Perhaps a bolt of lightning struck the ocean and somehow (???) gave life to the first living cell."

Unabashed, she asks, "So, where did the lightning, and the ocean, come from? Since they are not living things, they could not possibly have evolved. So, where did they come from?"

"Well," I said, "perhaps they were just there. The universe may have simply created itself (did I say "created"?).

To which she queried, "But the other day in school I learned the first law of physics, that 'matter can neither be created nor destroyed'. If that is true, and science says it is, then the universe could not possibly have created itself."

And then I did what I always do when my little sweetheart gets the better of me - I took two aspirin and went to take a nap.

No comments: