Sunday, July 29, 2007

Debating Debates on Youtube

Well, I never would have believed it - Democratic presidential candidates fighting for little soundbytes on Youtube. The Republicans, of course, are refusing to do the same, for a variety of reasons - however, I strongly suspect it is due to a) lack of credibility of YOUTUBE as a debating forum, b) questioning the validity of being questioned by young, inexperienced people, many of whom do not even know their own state capitol, and c) wondering if they will next be asked to debate on eBay.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a YouTube junky by any means and I have not seen the debates posted there, but what I do see are the new ways in which news and information are reaching society. I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “The Social Media Revolution” and I believe it is the direction the world of media is going. It wouldn’t surprise me if in the next 12 months the number of politicians with blog entries doubled and the number of newspaper subscribers continued to fall.

In this case, the politicians that used YouTube for a debate might be a little ahead of their time (i.e. that faction has yet to embrace the YouTube and other social media realms) but it might also show how they understand the winds of change.

I agree YouTube is not the most credible reporting agency; however, I like the fact that the politicians were questioned by the young and inexperienced . . . they often times through out curveball questions no one either thought about or expected.