Friday, May 4, 2007

Negotiate Real Estate Commissions

Few home sellers are aware that the Realtor commission for selling their home is negotiable. You should consider the broker's "offer" for the commission to be a starting point for negotiation. Why?

The biggest reason is due to such high property values. When the average home is $280,000, a 6% commission is a whopping $16,800. While Realtors will want that much, seldom would they object to getting paid a "mere" $11,200 (4%). And some "discount" places like ZipRealty and Assist-2-Sell only charge 1-2%.

So, if you are selling your home, don't be afraid to negotiate that commission - it can put thousands of extra $$$ in your pocket. Especially with more and more homes reaching the $500,000 value.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I successfully negotiated for my Realtor to contribute 20% of his commission toward my closing costs at close of escrow of my new home. Furthermore, because the house was a foreclosed home, the bank wanted to dump it and not only discounted the price of the home but also paid a full 3% toward my closing costs. These two combined not only attributed to getting me into the house with no cash out of pocket but also paid 2 points on my mortgage!

How's that for negotiating closing costs! Oh, and by the way, thanks Bill for teaching me how to think in such ways. A Simple Man's Guide To Real Estate is not just for investors, but anyone wishing to buy or sell a house for any reason.