Friday, December 10, 2010

Re-Invigorating Your Life With RAK

Hangin' at the local coffee shop this mornin' where all us old fogies go to shoot the bull, the topic that came up was how life seems to have gotten so complex, busy and frustrating that it is sometimes difficult to get started in the morning. In some cases, it can even knock our moral compass out of whack as we all struggle to get ahead of everyone else - or, at least not fall any farther behind.

That got me thinking about something I used to do often as a young man in a less complicated world - something that always managed to bring my entire being back into sync - mind, body and spirit.

I recall once when I was feeling really down after my life hit a really rough spot. I knew I had to do something to lift my spirits. I headed to the local florist shoppe and bought 3 dozen long-stemmed red roses, drove back to the center of town, parked, then slowly walked up and down the main street handing a rose to every female I came to, tipped my hat and simply said little ditties like "You are important", or "Have a happy day."

Within the course of under an hour I had made 36 people happier (who probably went home and made their hubbies happier with their refreshed attitude). But I also raised my own spirits to unimagined heights. I was re-invigorated immediately.

Another time was the 20 below-zero morning I drove around town actually looking for people whose cars would not start. Out came the jumper cables and, if necessary, the can of ether for the carb. I must have started at least a dozen people that frosty morning.

So today I got to thinking that I could use another "re-invigoration". I headed out to the nearest Walgreen's and stood beside the pharmacy station. As each person picked up their prescriptions and were asked to pay the co-pay, I stepped in and paid the co-pay myself. When anyone asked why, I simply said, "Random Acts of Kindness are good for the soul", and asked them to pass it on.

Random Acts of Kindness (RAK). They do so much for everyone they touch.

I have made a decision that every day of my life I will perform at least one random act of kindness and ask the recipient if he would consider doing the same. Who knows, it may just catch on. And before you know it, random acts of kindness may be running amok throughout every town and village.

It just may help cure what ails us...

/

No comments: